Information for Carers
Do you look after someone?
A carer is someone who provides unpaid support to a family member, partner or friend who is disabled, ill, frail, elderly or has mental health or substance misuse problems.
Sheffield City Council commissions Sheffield Carers Centre, a local independent charity, to provide dedicated support to adults (18+ years old) providing unpaid care to someone else in Sheffield.
They have trained staff who understand the pressures of caring and can help with any aspect of the caring role.
You can get support including:
- dedicated Carer Advice Line 0114 272 8362 (available Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm)
- a Carer Card giving unpaid carers discounts and offers from local businesses across Sheffield
- online information and advice on their website
- a regular Carers e-Bulletin featuring news, useful advice and service updates
- help to access local support groups for carers, including a monthly Carers Café and Mental Health Hub, for those supporting someone with a mental health problem, hosted by the Carers Centre
- drop-in sessions to speak with a Carer Advisor (Wednesday mornings, 10am-12noon)
- Carers Needs Assessment: an opportunity to discuss all the ways in which caring impacts on your life and help from an Advisor to find solutions to these issues
- help to plan for emergencies, when a carer might be unable to care
- support to take a break from your caring responsibilities (sometimes called respite)
- useful updates on Facebook and Twitter
You can access information through the dedicated website by clicking on the following link: www.sheffieldcarers.org.uk
Sheffield City Council wants to consult with people of any age who are unpaid carers for someone who lives in Sheffield. We want your thoughts and comments on the Carer principles so please join one of our zoom sessions. The consultation period will run from Monday 5 October through to Sunday 15 November. For more detail get in touch:
Phone: 07584 386707 Emma Dickinson
Phone: 07717 713694 Frazer Kirk
Click here for the Carers Consultation Sheffield information