Quick Exit

What to do if you are worried about an adult

Worried about an adult?

A person is defined as an adult at risk if they are:

  • 18 years old or over and
  • in need of care and support (whether or not these are being met) and
  • unable to protect themselves from harm as a result of their needs.

In Sheffield we have a safeguarding partnership which is made up of a range of organisations including Sheffield City Council, NHS, Police and voluntary sector. These organisations work closely together to make sure that any concerns raised in relation to potential abuse and or neglect are acted upon

Types of abuse

Abuse is any action which harms another person, including:

  • physical abuse
  • verbal abuse
  • domestic abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • emotional or psychological abuse
  • financial or material abuse
  • neglect
  • discrimination
  • modern slavery
  • self-neglect
  • organisation abuse

Report adult abuse

If you or someone you know is being abused (or you suspect they are) then speak out, don’t ignore it and report it.

If there is no immediate danger you can tell someone you trust. This could be family, friends or professionals. If you don’t want to tell someone you know, you can contact us.

If you or someone else is in immediate danger call 999.

Next steps

If you report abuse and / neglect to Sheffield City Council, the first thing we’ll do is make sure you or the person you are concerned about is safe.

To raise a concern about adult abuse or neglect contact First Contact

0114 273 4908 Open 24 hours, 7 days a week

Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

For professionals raising safeguarding concerns please click on and complete the following Safeguarding Adult Concern form